There is a large variety of window coverings to choose from, making it difficult to determine which will be the best choice. Blinds and curtains are among the most popular types of window coverings. However, they come in different styles based on the fabric and mechanism used and there are several pros and cons associated with each style. Which of the two window covering options is ideal for your home? The choice entirely depends on what visually appeals to you and the functional requirements you want them to fulfil.
This post compares between blinds and curtains, and shares tips on the criteria that should be considered to make the right decision for your home.
Criteria to Determine Which Is the Better Choice:
The following factors should be considered to determine which is the right choice for your home:
- The interior décor style you prefer
Curtains and blinds are very different from each other, giving rise to two entirely different outcomes when used in your interior décor. Hence, it is important to determine first the type of look you are trying to achieve.
Free-flowing window coverings like curtain and drapes create a more traditional and elegant look. They add an element of luxury to your room depending on the fabric you have chosen. Blinds are chic and more contemporary, creating a modern and minimalist style of interior décor.
According to Adele Shotton-Pugh, resident interior designer of Terry’s Fabric,
“You could also think about combining blinds and curtains to completely block out any unwanted light, and make a stunning style statement in your window.”
- The material and installation cost
The price depends on the following factors:
- The measurement of fabric needed for making the custom window covering that fits your windows accurately.
- Different types of fabrics have different price ranges, and it is another factor that influences the cost.
- The additional functionality like blackout lining, motorization, incur more installation charges.
Making of curtains and drapes needs more fabric, which is why they are more expensive than blinds. If you have a budget constraint, combining drapes and blinds will not be feasible as the cost doubles when you are using both types of window coverings.
The best way to get a stunning interior without extending your budget is by following a methodical approach of selecting the window covering. When you are choosing window treatment for your kitchen, go for durable, affordable and easy to clean options like blinds. For rooms that are less used such as a guest bedroom and laundry rooms, use either curtains or blinds but not both. However, do not compromise on the style and quality for your living room, dining and master bedroom which are the highlights of your living space.
- The insulation needed for your home
Blinds sit closer to the window and there is a minimal gap between the window frame and the fabric, making it more insulating than curtains in general. However, if you are choosing specially designed fabrics for enhancing the insulation of the room, curtains can also work out. Roman blinds made of fabric, which have a protective layer against UV rays, are a great combination of functionality and aesthetics. Enhanced insulation can significantly save your energy bills and maintain a balanced and moderate indoor temperature.
- Privacy and light exposure that you prefer
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to privacy, and light exposure of the room. The window coverings must be chosen accordingly. If the privacy is not a big concern, sheer and translucent curtains can be the go-to option. They look very elegant, provide just enough privacy from prying eyes and allow a lot of natural light and air into the room. If you are looking for window coverings for the bedroom, then options with higher opacity is a good choice. Look for custom blinds made of blackout fabric for a minimalist but practical design for your bedroom. Curtains are a great choice too but the free-flowing fabric getting blown away at times does not entirely fulfill your privacy requirements.
- The colour and texture to complement your interiors
The interiors of your home appear coherent when you are choosing the right colour and texture that complement each other. Both curtains and blinds are equally versatile as they are available in a variety of colours, patterns and fabric textures. Blinds have a slight upper-hand as they are available in materials like faux wood and bamboo which are ideal for creating an interior with a touch of nature. Choose prints and patterns that match other upholstery around the room or go for neutral tones which are universally appealing and work well with every type of décor.
Reasons to Choose Blinds over Curtains:
The following are the perks of choosing blinds instead of curtains and the reasons behind the growing popularity of this window treatment:
- Blinds are available in different forms like fabric, faux wood, bamboo, jute and many more, giving you ample choices with varied functionality and aesthetics.
- You get numerous options to control over privacy and light exposure by choosing blinds because of their mechanism and structure.
- Blinds make the room appear bigger since they sit close to the window frame while drapes are more flowing and voluminous.
- They are easier to clean than drapes and even available in easy-to-wipe fabric options. Drapes, on the other hand, must be professionally cleaned to avoid shrinkage and dye runs.
- Blinds are more capable of enhancing the insulation of your home.
- Motorizing blinds is more convenient, making them perfect for difficult-to-reach windows.
Choosing between drapes and blinds is a matter of personal preference of style and functionality. Reputed drapery stores will offer endless variety but keeping these criteria in mind you can find the best option to make your home more comfortable and aesthetically more appealing.