Mini blinds have narrower slats than the usual blinds. Since they are narrower, it can be quite a challenge to keep them clean, free from dust, grime, insects, pollen, grease, etc. However, with little effort and right techniques it is quite possible to clean them at home without much help. Also it is important that you keep cleaning them at regular intervals so that their look remains unaffected. If you allow dust to accumulate on mini blinds over a long period of time, they are quite likely to alter their color. Here is how you can go about the cleaning task on your own:
- Vacuuming is probably the best and the easiest way to clean mini blinds. You can do this by running the vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment over them on one side. Rotate the slats to clean from the other side as well.
- The next cleaning option is washing them. You need not do this regularly and this can be a part of your periodic cleaning regime. To wash mini blinds you have take them off the wall and then clean. You can choose to clean them either in the bathroom or outdoors depending on what is more convenient for you.
- Next you need to immerse the blinds in a soap and water solution. Dip one end first and let it soak for a few minutes after which you can run your fingers through the slats to get rid of dust and grime. You can also use a microfiber cloth or wear gloves. After you are done with one side of the blinds, dip the other side and repeat the process. If you find that the water has become dirty, you can replace the solution with a new one. You can choose to clean them either in the bathroom or outdoors depending on what is more convenient for you.
- If you have stubborn dirt on your mini blinds, you can also create a solution of water and ammonia or baking soda in equal proportions and dab generously on the blinds. This works particularly well for grease and grime that can be otherwise be difficult to get rid of.
- After you have scrubbed clean the mini blinds, rinse them well with water. You can either dip them in a bucket or tub full of water or spray water with a garden hose if you are doing an outdoor cleaning. Let the blinds dry well before you re-install them. If necessary you can wipe them dry with an absorbent cloth.
- Another option for cleaning blinds is by laying them on the ground, completely spread out instead of immersing in soapy solutions.
With these easy steps, you can clean your mini blinds making them look as good as new!