Finding the right kind of window treatments is as important as finding how functional they can be. Complete knowledge about hardware options is essentially important to make your windows look chic and classy. Whether exposed or hidden, drapery hardware can be one major design factor while pulling off the ultimate décor statement.
A few jargons here and there, a few terms to learn and you will be able decipher what experts of the industry mean to say.
Functional support is more than necessary, to cover a lengthy window span. The functional support will help hold the bar up against gravity and prevent it from bowing. This picture depicts center support located directly in the middle of a window.
- Every 30 to 36 inches there is a support required to these panels.
Very short drapery rods that flank a window are known as drapery arms. When draperies are stationary and purely for decoration, these arms can be used.
- Drapery arms are indeed cost effective solutions. They require less fabric while adding in a fresh look.
An elbow bracket is essential when the wall angles and the drapery rod must follow. Placing an elbow bracket in the corner to realign the rod can work wonders. The bracket helps orient the rod to the angle of the wall.
- Elbow brackets can be adjusted onsite – but you have to purchase elbow brackets in the exact angles required.
A finial is a decorative ornament which is found on every end of the drapery rod.
- Some rods come with finials and some do not. Purchase the finials separately will lead to adding individual style to the curtain rods.
Any rod that will be seen and comes together with an ornamental finish is called a decorative rod. Decorative rods often come with matching rings to co-ordinate.
- The decorative rod in the room can be matched with other finishes in the room to gain complete cohesion.
In case you have way too much window draperies, closing and opening them can be difficult. Excess drapery often takes on extra weight. Placing these draperies on a traversing rod allows you to open and close them just by manipulating a few strings, lying at the end.
- If you have traversing rods which are not decorative, you can always match them with an architectural valance camouflage.
When windows range the entire ceiling to floor and one is left with very little wall space, a ceiling mounted drapery track can be a good option. The draperies thus will glide along the ceiling perfectly when opening and closing.
- A drapery track is said to give you a contemporary touch of design. So, in case you are a traditionalist, blinds might please you.
If the drapery rod runs into a wall, placing a finial will be very difficult. To add a little bit of zing to this place a finial on one end, and a cap on the other.
- If you are in this sort of a situation, never fear to use two different end caps. Different end caps only add to the chic look of your home.
A café curtain requires an unobtrusive rod, as it needs to be at the eye level. The café rod is usually a lightweight rod that holds a curtain.
- In most cases one can mount a café rod, in a window casing using tension, or just mount it inside a window casing with the proper hardware.
Proper understanding of the terms used for different elements or components of drapery hardware is essential. Know them well, so that, next time you are shopping for your drapery, you don’t get confused. Pick the right ones to give your home a chic and classy look.