When it comes to choosing an indoor window covering that gives you privacy, light control, and amazing appearance, California shutters are the best bet. This versatile window treatment option has a classic charm and modern appeal that makes it an ideal choice to complement both traditional and contemporary home decors. Apart from being a beautiful addition to your living space, there is so much more to California shutters.
If you want to learn more about this window covering, read this blog post.
History of California Shutters
Shutters originated in ancient Greece where they were made from marble. When the concept spread to Europe, people started using wood which made it lighter in weight and allowed the introduction of movable louvres. In medieval times, people used solid shutter panels that gave protection from weather and provided security.
During the time of America’s colonization by Europeans, shutters found their way to America. This window covering came to California in the mid 19th century. The residents thought shutters were invented by someone local and hence the name ‘California shutters’ was given to this window treatment.
Benefits of California Shutters
What started in ancient Greece has now become a popular window treatment worldwide for both the aesthetic aspect and the functionality they offer. California shutters have gained more popularity over the years because of the following benefits they offer.
California shutters are one of the most convenient window treatment options. The wide louvers let in enough air but keep out sunlight, thus offering more control to you. You can open and shut the slats manually to control the amount of visibility, light and air that enters the room.
These shutters give a timeless look to windows because of their sleek and sophisticated appearance. Unlike draperies that need to be changed at regular intervals, you won’t feel the need to change these shutters. They hold up and look attractive for decades.
California shutters require minimal maintenance as occasional dusting and vacuuming keep them clean, unlike heavy curtains and drapery that need to be dry cleaned for keeping them look great.
California shutters effectively insulate your home, thus keeping it warm in winter and cool in summer. They are designed to perfectly fit the windows and that leaves no room for gaps and you can manually operate them to allow or block light and air inside the house. This saves a lot of money on your energy bills.
This window treatment allows you to have full control over your privacy. You can adjust the slats to angle them in such a manner that you can see out but others won’t be able to peep in.
To learn more about the benefits of California shutters, go through this post.
Decorating with California Shutters
Alone, California shutters add elegance and sophistication to your home. But, if you want to experiment with them to give your windows a new look, there are several ways to dress up this window covering. Here’s how you can do that.
- To give a minimalist touch of elegance to your shutters, accessorize them with a valance. This combination will look great and reflect your impressive sense of décor.
- To create a striking focal point, adding some floor-length curtains will be an excellent idea. The simple transformation will add some colours and textures to your windows while beautifying the overall appearance of the room.
- Colour the shutters in the rainbow palette to give an instant facelift to your windows. You can go for other colour choices as well such as blue shutters to match country-style décor or violet colour to complement bohemian style décor.
Difference Between California Shutters and Plantation Shutters
Many people believe that California shutters and plantation shutters are the same. But the main difference between the two styles is the size of the louvres. Here are some key points of difference.
|Points of Difference||California Style Shutters||Plantation Style Shutters|
|Louvre Width||2.5 inches||3.5 inches|
|Ideal for||Look good on both large and small windows||Look good on larger windows in order the appear proportioned|
|Installation||Easy to install because of their smaller size||Relatively difficult to install|
How to Install California Shutters
Many homeowners prefer installing California shutters on their own as it is not very time-consuming. Go through this brief guide to understand the installation process.
- Measure the height and width of your window to determine the size of shutters you need
- Place the shutters together to measure the overall width so as to find out whether it matches the window size or not
- Use filler strips to adjust the width of the shutters set, in the case they don’t fit your windows
- Attach the required number of filler strips to your shutter frame use screws to slide the flier strips
- Drill holes on your windows at spots where you will mount shutters
- Hold the shutters on the window and mount them by aligning screws with the drilled holes
- Tighten the screws into place, but leave them a bit loose in case adjustments are needed
- Open and close the shutters to ensure everything is in alignment and make adjustments if needed
- When everything is aligned properly, insert the screw cover plugs
- Use a pencil to mark hardware placement and add fixtures such as left-side, right-side knob and the latch
- Test the shutters by closing the latch
If you aren’t very sure about your DIY skills, then it is advisable to consult a window treatment installation professional.
California shutters are an excellent choice for homeowners who want a window treatment that complements several décor styles including traditional, contemporary and cottage. This window covering is practical, attractive, low-maintenance and energy-efficient. Hopefully, this blog post also has helped you understand everything about California shutters. You can choose this window treatment without hesitation and make the most of your purchase. If you want to know more, feel free to leave a comment below.