Without the right window covering, your home can look incomplete. They have as much role to play in aesthetics as in preserving your privacy and comfort. Blinds, curtains, drapes, shades, and shutters are the broader classifications for the different types of window coverings available. While telling apart blinds from curtains is easy, the same cannot be said about blinds and shades or curtains and drapes.
This post compares the various benefits associated with different types of window treatments and shares tips on determining the best choice for your home.
Important Factors to Consider While Choosing Window Coverings
Before choosing window coverings, keep the following factors in mind:
- The space and size of your room- a small room calls for shutters, shades, and blinds which are accurately set against the window panel taking up minimal space.
- The kind of interior you want- sleek, sophisticated, modern, or vintage, eclectic and traditional.
- The amount of privacy control, home insulation, light, and air flow, blackout effect you need altogether play an important role in your choice.
- Mixing and matching different types of window treatments can create an interesting interior and serve the practical requirements too. If you intend to mix and match the window treatments, learning to balance the look is important.
|Comparing the Different Window Treatments in a Nutshell|
|Affordability||One of the most inexpensive options, though high on quality.||Depends on the fabric type and lining used. The price range can largely vary.||Comparatively more expensive than blinds and price depends on fabric, mechanism and size.||The most expensive option as it is framed permanently against the window.|
|Durability||Moderately durable.||Moderately durable to highly durable based on the fabric used.||Way more durable compared to blinds or curtains.||The most durable window covering and can last for decades without any damage.|
|Safety||Corded styles are not safe and opting for a cordless style is a wiser choice.||Safe for children unless the drapery length puddles on the floor which can lead to tripping.||Easy to operate and safe unless your shades have cords and strings.||Absolutely safe to operate as they do not have cords.|
|Applications||Can be used in any room of the house and high traffic zones.||Best suited for spaces with moderate foot traffic and where they will not get wet.||Can be used in almost every room, including the bathroom.||Best suited for rooms experiencing harsh sunlight and with little moisture.|
|Aesthetics||Available in a variety of materials which are appealing.||Variety in colour, fabric weightage and texture and draping style.||Available in different colours, patterns and styles, shades have a crisp and clean look.||They are very beautiful and enhance the overall attractiveness of your home.|
Advantages of the Different Window Treatments:
Blinds are either continuous or slatted and are designed with a mechanism to be raised or lowered easily. They are made of various materials like vinyl, aluminum, faux wood and even fabric and solar panels. The primary advantages are:
- They are inexpensive compared to other window coverings, though the quality isn’t affected.
- They have enough light controlling ability depending on the material you choose.
- Made from synthetic materials like faux wood or vinyl, blinds are designed to be moisture-resistant and hence, you can easily use it in the kitchen and the bathrooms.
- They can be taken down from the window occasionally to wash them. Apart from that, regular dusting and vacuuming is the only cleaning routine you need to maintain.
These days, cordless blinds are available as well, making them perfectly safe for the children and pets in the house.
Curtains are panels of fabric with a flare that are hung against the window as a covering. They can be of different styles, fabric, colour and serve different purposes. These free-flowing window coverings are useful as:
- They are easy to match with the interior décor of any room.
- They are available in a variety of price ranges, making it accessible to everyone.
- Curtains provide insulation to your home and create a cozy ambience and look.
- Since there are no cords and similar mechanisms involved, they are safe for children.
- The flared design of the curtains adds character to your room décor and looks very appealing irrespective of the space available.
When you choose thicker fabric like velvet and they are lined with thermal material or blackout fabrics, they are called drapes. Custom drapery is ideal when you have specific needs and want a royal and extravagant interior.
This is a panel of soft fabric that is attached to a frame or a rod at the top of the window and sits close to the window pane. They usually roll up or bundle up, depending on the style you have chosen. The perks of choosing shades are as follows.
- This fabric-based window covering comes in many colours, patterns and prints that can match your décor theme and blocks excessive heat and light. Custom made shades that accurately fit your window and made of blackout fabric also comes with room-darkening features.
- Shades are very durable and can last for years when cared for well.
- It has the elegance of softness of fabric but does not take up extra space, making it a perfect choice when you have limited space and want a clean finish for your interior décor.
- All kinds of shades are easy and safe to operate and you can even get them motorized.
One of the most stable window treatments available, shutters are very beautiful and provide optimum protection against the damage UV rays can cause to your furniture and upholstery. They can be installed indoors as well as outdoors. Choosing shutters for your home ensure:
- An additional protection against intruders and greater privacy.
- Stability and permanence as these shutters are usually made from wood, aluminum, faux wood and other similar durable materials that last for years.
- Shutters add to the resale value of your home because of their durability and beauty.
Each type of window coverings has its own specific advantages and the choice largely depends on the homeowners’ personal taste, privacy needs and the budget. Keeping in mind the size and construction of your home, you can shop for the right kind of window coverings.