With so many types of window coverings available these days, choosing the right option that’s ideal for your home can be demanding. The trouble compounds when homeowners leave deciding on their windows for last. One of the most popular window treatments are shutters. Toronto-based homeowners, looking for a long-lasting and permanent solution for their windows that can withstand extreme climates, will find them very suitable.
Understanding the advantages and drawbacks of shutters is helpful for determining the right option that is suitable for your home and make a wise investment.
Types of Window Shutters
Before discussing the advantages and drawbacks associated with window shutters, it is important to know about the different styles available. Each type has varied features. The following are popular window shutters you will come across at the store:
- California shutters are characterized by thinner louvres and are usually made of wood.
- Plantation shutters are named after the shutters used in plantation manors in the southern states and have wider slats compared to California shutters. They are conventionally made of wood and painted white. But these days, plastic plantation shutters are also available.
- Vinyl shutters are the most affordable option as the vinyl slats are produced in bulks. They are available in variety of colours and textures. Due to the several advantages, it is one of the most popular window shutters among homeowners.
- Composite or faux wood shutters are recognized by the slats which are made from artificial woods. They mimic the aesthetics of wooden shutters but lacks similar durability.
- Cafe shutters are slatted and covers the lower section of the window, thus providing privacy as well as enough exposure to air and sunlight.
- Exterior shutters are designed to be installed from outside and usually made of wood or aluminum and provides the utmost protection and privacy to the homeowners.
All these types of shutters can be motorized, which further adds to their popularity as more and more people are inclined towards automated window coverings.
Advantages of Window Shutters
This is one of the major reasons why homeowners upgrade their shutters. Installing window shutters can protect your windows and increase privacy the following ways:
- The louvres can be angled to control the amount of sunlight flooding in. It can protect your interiors from direct exposure to sunlight and will not warp if an additional layer of UV protection is applied to the slats.
- They can withstand extreme weather and provide shelter from storms, rain, and flying debris.
- It secures your home against burglars and break-in as it acts as a barrier. Moreover, it is nearly impossible to see inside the house with internal or external window shutters.
Wooden shutters for windows provide both sound and thermal insulation and are energy efficient. When the shutters are closed and the windows are kept open, air flows in while the harsh sunlight is blocked, keeping the overall temperature down. While this can be achieved by choosing blackout curtains, shutters are more versatile and can be used in the bathroom and kitchen, unlike the curtains. As the room temperature is moderated naturally, the energy bills for artificial heating and cooling gets reduced.
Shutters are very versatile and designed to fully control your privacy. When the shutters are closed, it covers the window completely. You can adjust the louvres’ tilt to let the light and air in without compromising on your privacy. This can be done by angling the slats downwards so that the air circulation and light-flow is not obstructed but no one can glimpse the interior of the house from the road. The louvre width and material play a vital role in ensuring the amount of privacy you are getting.
- Curb appeal
Investing in the classic plantation or California shutters is a good idea as they carry a timeless old-world charm. Modern shutters are sleek and have the ability to enhance the aesthetics of your home. Whether rustic or modern, all these shutters are able to attract buyers. This means that the curb appeal of your home is increased and you can expect a greater resale value.
The best way to get the ideal window shutters for your home is by investing in custom-made shutters. The professionals will take the measurements of your window and will design the type of shutter you want. This service is particularly helpful for homeowners who have windows with irregular shapes or unconventional size.
Drawbacks of Shutters:
There are certain drawbacks that you should be aware of before investing in window shutters to determine whether this is the best choice for your home:
- Shutters are expensive compared to other types of window treatment.
- Visibility of the outdoors is significantly reduced by the solid slats of the shutter. If you maximize visibility, your privacy will be compromised as well.
- Interior shutters swing inwards, which can be problematic if you have any furniture blocking the way.
- It is a permanent fixture and while it can be removed, the process will be expensive unlike the other window coverings which can be generally hung and removed at will.
The above-mentioned are the advantages and drawbacks universal for almost every type of shutters. Certain shutters may have specific and unique benefits and drawbacks as well. Keeping them in mind will make it easier to choose the most suitable option when you are at the store.