Across the areas we service, including Toronto and Mississauga, you will find a wide variety of condominium architectural styles, from sleek and modern to ranch.
But the most stylish have one thing in common: amazing window treatments.
Your options for window coverings are abundant, including curtains, drapes, valences, blinds, and shades. A properly-dressed window is not just about good aesthetics but is also critical for the functioning of your condo.
But how do you know when it is time to replace or update your condo’s window treatments? Here are a few guidelines to help you choose the best and most functional condo blinds, window shades, and window blinds in and around Toronto and Mississauga.
Be Sure to Ask Yourself the Right Questions
1. What do you want from your window treatment? If you want privacy but don’t want to block the view outside, choose sheer drapes. They are usually available in neutral colours and translucent fabrics.
If your concern is insulation, you’ll want a store (like ours!) that sells solar window shades or solar screens. As both block sunlight, they keep you cool in summer.
If you are looking for energy efficiency, cellular shades with air pockets will offer extra insulation. They will keep your condo cool in summer and warm in winter, which will help you save on your energy bills.
And if you are looking to reduce the impact on the environment, you can go for blinds or window treatments made from organic materials like wool, hemp, cotton, linen, and flax. These materials are recyclable, eco-friendly, and can provide various level of opacity.
2. Do you have enough time to clean and maintain them? You can get sheer drapes dry cleaned once every two months. Window blinds should be dusted once a week with a microfibre cloth. If you don’t have much time for cleaning, find a window treatment that is easy to clean and maintain.
3. Do you want manual or automatic operation? Are you okay with hanging cords or chains, or would you prefer to be able to pull up and drop down the blinds with the touch of a button? If you have children, are into smart home technology, and can afford them, motorized window treatments are the way to go.
4. Are you going to prepare your budget according to what you want or make your choices based on what you can afford? If you don’t have enough for wooden blinds, vinyl window blinds are an affordable choice. Or you can get drapes for your condo windows.
5. Think about what kind of look and feel you’re going for. Do you want your condo blinds or shades to be the room’s focal point or just an element adding a pop of colour? The design, colour, texture, and look of your window treatments will depend largely on this factor.
Types of Condo Window Coverings from Which You Can Choose
1. Sheer Drapes
Sheer drapes are the best option if you want to enjoy the view outside without compromising your privacy. They are also a good option if you are on a budget. Wall- or ceiling-mounted rods create the illusion of height. And their neutral colour blends with any colour scheme, making them perfect for modern decor.
Shutters are suitable for standard windows, not floor-to-ceiling ones. Shutters are custom made, stylish, and good for privacy. They are available in various materials, including wood, composite, and vinyl, with the latter being the most durable.
3. Mini Blinds
Mini blinds are thin horizontal slats operated with a cord loop or cordless spring system that offers control over the light coming into your condo.
4. Vertical Blinds
Vertical blinds have vertical slats made of metal and wood. They use a mechanism similar to mini blinds, i.e., corded or cordless. These slats move on a track attached to the window so can be opened and closed easily.
5. Solar Screens
If you are looking to reduce your energy bills, the insulation properties of solar screens are your best option. They prevent UV rays from entering, so your condo stays cool in summers and warm in winters.
6. Roller Shades
These shades are one of a kind, with a single piece of fabric rolling up into a bar attached to the top frame of the window. You have your choice of corded or cordless spring systems; or automatic operation. Automatic roller shades are especially popular among condo owners.
7. Roman Shades
If you want your condo to look elegant, roman shades in neutral colours and patterns will do the job. If you want something visually appealing, opt for self-designed shades. Again, you can go for a corded or motorized mechanism.
You can change the look of your condo with window treatments. But consider these factors before buying. Making the right choice is the key to achieving both perfect look and functionality. If you need expert opinion, contact us about your window treatments and ask about a consultation.